Leather Care Tips
Various types of leather require different care processes.
- Aniline - Also known as natural, pure, naked or unprotected leather.
- Protected - Also known as finished semi-aniline, everyday, pigmented and painted leather.
- Nubuck - Also known as chaps, distressed, bomber and suede leather.
Protect Your Investment
Protect your leather from spills and stains.
Leather, when properly maintained, will last four or five times longer than fabric or man-made fibres. Over time, body oils, perspiration, skin acids and other soils can work their way into the leather. Many cleaning products currently on the market are not appropriate for leather – and they may break down leather finishes, promoting dryness and cracking. Chem-Dry leather care products are safe and effective for leather and have been endorsed by more than 300 tanneries and manufacturers.
Scuffs, Scratches, Cuts and Fading
Why Should I Clean & Protect My Leather?
- Oils & Grease - Body oils from both humans and animals attach and hold on to leather. Body oils are easily transferred to the head cushions and armrests of the furniture and can cause serious damage to the protective finishes found on leather.
- Atmospheric Soils - Consider the dust that builds up on a coffee table or desk over a week’s time. This same dust is being deposited on your leather. Additionally, consider the airborne cooking oils and atmospheric pollution that are present, to some degree, in every home. These elements can wear down leather over time.
- Common Soils - These soils include dirt tracked in from outside along with sand and fibers from plants, brought into the home by people and pets.
- Dyes and Inks - The inks from newspapers and dyes from denim can transfer onto leather in a process called dye transfer. Additionally, the risk of ink from a leaky pen or the aspiring toddler who loves to draw should not be forgotten.
How Often Should I Clean My Leather?
A regular cleaning schedule includes professional cleaning two times a year is recommended.
Can I Clean My Own Leather?
Chem-Dry have developed an ideal solution to help you maintain the health and beauty of your leather furniture between professional cleans. Our Home Leather Care Kit includes Chem-Dry's soft Cleaner which will clean the leather and the finishing touch is provided by our Protection Cream which rejuvenates and protects your leather.